When I read my syllabus for a summer course I am taking on Inquiry and ICT, I was intrigued with the expectation that I create a blog. I have always been interested in blogging, but to be honest, don't really think of myself as a writer, nor do I have a lot to say, although my husband would probably disagree.
My journey back to the classroom as a student after 14 years as a teacher and consultant has been surprisingly rewarding. To be honest, going back to university wasn't even on my radar because my first experience as an undergrad wasn't so hot! However, last year a colleague sent me some information on an Assistive Technology for Learning (ATL) certificate program through the University of Calgary in Canada and being a scholar herself encouraged me to apply. Truthfully, I really had fallen into my current position as an ATL consultant the previous fall and I thought the opportunity to learn formally was one I couldn't pass up. So, back to school I went, but this time online.
The flexibility of online learning fits perfectly as I continue to work and have a family. I can read and reply to posts when it suits my schedule, and write papers in between weekend sporting events. In addition, my school district has a professional improvement program that offers tuition support and part time employment throughout the duration of your studies. I know, it's pretty sweet!
As I enter into my second year, I look forward to shifting my focus slightly from technology to support individuals with special needs to technologies that support all learners. The possibilities are truly amazing and I love the opportunity to support teachers and students as they navigate digital technologies as alternatives to gaining and demonstrating understanding. Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment