Educators want examples, models, evidence of how a method or framework can be implemented in their own classrooms. As I began to think about my final project, I felt as though I was missing a piece of the process necessary for moving forward. While reading Chapter 9, Bransford, Brown and Coxing (2000) provided actual examples of inquiry-based units. Having a fairly strong background in integrating technology to support learning, I focused on the examples of actual teacher lessons and tasks to deepen my personal understanding of how to develop a good task.
Caswell (2014) in the video Knowledge Building states:
“Inquiry is about creating equitable, inclusive, engaging and active learning environments
that spark children’s natural curiosity, that makes students’ thinking visible and that transform classrooms into communities of learners.”
that spark children’s natural curiosity, that makes students’ thinking visible and that transform classrooms into communities of learners.”
With this statement at the forefront, I began to think about what actually makes a good inquiry-based task. Historically, educating students has followed an assembly line model (Bransford, Brown & Cocking, 2000, Ch 9) where students would sit in rows, learning the same information and demonstrating understanding in the same way. I do believe a lot of progress has been made in the last 5 years and since our textbook was written. In my experience visiting many different classrooms, students are more active in their learning and technology is embedded throughout the day to enhance their learning. When I ask junior and high school students about the way they use technology, many of them are able to articulate clearly the various devices, programs and tools that support their learning experience. Of course, there is a fairly broad range of skills from one classroom to the next due to teacher style, comfort and preference. However, in my school district where every school has wifi and either a computer lab, laptops, iPads or Chromebooks, significant professional development opportunities are offered. Yet some teachers are still considerably "behind the times". How do we communicate the importance of designing accessible learning environments through the use of technology? How do we encourage educators who are not as tech savvy to learn about the methods and benefits of leveraging technology to support learning?
Developing a “good” task that incorporates content, pedagogy and technology can be challenging, but I believe that ideas often come from students. Teachers need to be okay with letting go and being flexible so that student exploration may evolve. An example of this is an experience I had with my students a few years ago. The general curricular outcome being addressed was understanding tax in grade 8 mathematics. I had demonstrated in numerous ways through examples, videos, and practice of how to calculate tax. Yet, many of my students still struggled with the concept and repeated practice on worksheets had no value. Then the inevitable question arose, “When are we ever going to use this in real life?” I knew the answer and could easily have listed a number of examples, but instead I spent the evening developing an authentic task to help students understand the importance of tax. The following morning students arrived in the classroom at Calculations Cafe where tables were arranged and set with tablecloths, tea lights, ‘u-pen-sils’ (pencils taped to plastic forks) and takeout menus from a popular chain restaurant. At each table grouping, scenarios were printed on a card for students to understand the purpose of their dining experience and who they were dining with. Together the diners needed to order items from the menu and calculate the overall cost of the meal, including tip. In retrospect, research on the service industry and the concept of tipping would have enhanced students learning. The discussion that may have evolved around what was an acceptable tip percentage in North America at various service industries, including restaurants and salons would have been beneficial. Because students bring with them their own opinions and cultural beliefs (Bransford, Brown and Cocking, 2000, Ch. 6), this discussion could have been more fruitful and helped students with the overall concept and connection to community.
This week's readings have helped me to understand the types of inquiry-based tasks that can be developed to enrich and enhance learning. As a consultant, how can I carry over my course learnings into planning professional development for district staff? How do I develop inquiry-based learning in the workshops and sessions I provide to other educators?
References
Bransford, J., Brown, A. & Cocking, R. (2000). The design of learning environments. How People Learn: Brain, mind, experience and school (pp. 131-154). Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press. (Chapter 6)
Bransford, J., Brown, A. & Cocking, R. (2000). Technology to support learning. How people learn: Brain, mind, experience and school (pp. 206-231). Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press. (Chapter 9)
Knowledge-building.org, (2014). Knowledge Building. [online] Available at: http://www.knowledge-building.org/ [Accessed 24 Jul. 2014].
Image borrowed from
http://d1mpb3f4gq7nrb.cloudfront.net/img/toons/cartoon6795.png
Hi Lindsay,
ReplyDeleteI like the quote you have chosen from the video. To me, it really encapsulates what inquiry and inquiry based learning is about. After reading it, I was left with a vivid picture in my mind. It also contains a lot of terms that I have heard mentioned when discussing inquiry based learning.
When I was in elementary and high school, an assembly line model was used. I know that today, from my colleagues at work, and through my colleagues in these courses, that is model is not the norm in most classrooms. Teachers are using technology and varying techniques to teach their students, and that's a beautiful thing.
In my current school, our use of technology is limited. We are in a building that is close to 100 years old, and there are only computers located in the computer lab. As there is always a class scheduled in that room, it makes it impossible for other teachers to use the computers in that classroom. The Vancouver School Board recently had an initiative to upgrade the wifi access in all of the schools, so this means that I am able to use my laptop and a projector in my classroom, and I have found this useful. I don't do this every day, but for some tasks I do. As I am teaching adults, some of them find technology intimidating, and they have told me so themselves. Have you ever had your students tell you that they find technology intimidating?
As for teachers who are not tech savvy...can we force them to do so? Some people are just not good with technology, so should they be punished for that? I do think it's worthwhile and beneficial for all teachers to have some technological competence, and then they are able to use this in the classroom. But what about teachers who are close to retiring who refuse to use technology? I have heard of this occurring. These teachers grew up in a time when technology was not used in the ways it is today, and when they started teaching, it also was not. Do they need to update to the times? Is it possible that they can?
Great example on how to get the children to relate to the importance of tax. By being able to tie that into something that is used almost every day, it shows why we need to know about it. When I used to work in the drop in room in my school, when it came to math questions, tying ideas and concepts to money was something that was generally understood by students.
As for planning professional development, I think you should consider the quote from Caswell in your planning. By providing the same kind of environment for teachers, hopefully they will be able to do the same for their students.
Thanks,
Terry
Hi Terry,
DeleteThank you for the feedback and comments. To answer your first question, I haven't had a student tell me that they find technology intimidating, but I have had students who prefer not to use technology. In some cases, it's because they feel it takes too long to learn the new program or device.
I strongly believe that teachers who are not tech savvy still need to learn to use technology and to support their students. For me it is as if a new technology was available for surgery that would make the scar smaller and the results better. Wouldn't we want the doctor to know how to use the new method, rather than relying on the "old" method? I think appropriate modelling and coaching must be available to support a teacher in their technology journey.
Lindsay
My previous dentist, who was a family friend, used old methods in dentistry. For example, he only gave silver fillings for cavities; there wasn't the option of white fillings. He didn't use the new technology, yet people still visited him. He also did not have a computer system in place in his office, so he wasn't able to view x-rays on a computer. Is this an example where the old technology is still useful?
DeleteBut I do agree for you with new methods of surgery; I would want the new technology if it promises better results.
And teachers, much like students, require support in different areas of technology.
I absolutely agree that there is a place for both new and old technologies. Students still need to know how to write with a pen or pencil. However, I think it is unfair that a teacher close to retirement or one who isn't comfortable with technology doesn't have to be responsible for learning and implementing technology in the 21st Century. As a parent, I have taken it upon myself to work with my son's teachers so that they are aware of some of the digital tools that are available to support his learning needs. I expect that both my children receive an education which includes increased access and options for demonstrating understanding that include the use of technology.
DeleteWhat truly sticks out here for me is your description of authentic learning tasks, and most specifically, your creation of the “Calculation Café”. You truly created an environment where the isolation of the classroom from the real world is combatted in a truly present and powerful way. “When will we use this” indeed. This is Bransford, Brown, and Cocking’s vision of “[engaging] students in dialogues that integrate information…to produce knowledge” (2000, p. 219). Bravo.
ReplyDeleteYour questions regarding involving less tech-savvy teachers in the discussion and practice of technology integration are important ones. I’m personally of the mind that observation and sharing are key. Inviting teachers to come see what’s being done, and see what can happen when technology is incorporated and used effectively within a classroom might be a way in which the usefulness and power of this teaching ‘tool’ can be demonstrated. Bransford, Brown, and Cocking state that “[when] teachers learn to use a new technology in their classrooms, they model the learning process for students; at the same time, they gain new insights on teaching by watching their students learn” (2000, 226). In the same way we model this way for our students, we can perhaps model for our professional peers.
Of course, then comes the question of how that sort of thing can be done without seeming condescending or overly forceful. No-one appreciates having something shoved down their throats. You mention your visits to various classrooms in the context of a consultant; do you think that welcoming other teachers in to your own (theoretical) classroom would be a viable way in which to show what you can do?
REFERENCES:
Bransford, J., Brown, A. & Cocking, R. (2000). Technology to support learning. How people learn: Brain, mind, experience and school (pp. 206-231). Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press. (Chapter 9)
I like your idea of sharing my "theoretical" classroom. I have great examples, both personally and from other educators, that I can share with other educators that can enhance their workshops. I will continue to think about this as the summer fades away and fall approaches.
DeleteLindsay,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your insight from your post. What stood out most for me, especially in your current position, is how to help teachers push their personal comfort with technology?
Starting from that point, you then have to consider how teachers can open the technology to students in an inquiry based activity. Often, teachers do not have an opportunity to have reflection following a lesson or new pedagogical approach. Burridge and Carpenter (2013) explained "It was the
reflective discussions of teaching practices that lead teachers to experiment with different teaching approaches and develop new pedagogical perspectives on student learning". Most schools still seem to be breaking out of the individual mindset to encourage collaboration, trust, and ultimately, increasing student learning.
Specifically, your own reflection on your tax lesson highlighted ways you could polish the lesson for next time. By taking the time to look back, teachers can consider, imagine, and determine new approaches to improve learning for students--add 1 or 2 teachers into the reflection process and we have a fruitful, functioning professional learning community committed to education.
Jordan Robinson
Burridge, P., & Carpenter, C. (2013). Expanding Pedagogical Horizons: A case study of teacher professional development. Australian
Journal of Teacher Education, 38(9).
http://dx.doi.org/10.14221/ajte.2013v38n9.3
I would love to see our consultative model transform more into a coaching model. Being the only ATL consultant for my district of over 85,000 students, I rarely have a chance to return for more than 2 or 3 visits in the entire school year. As often as possible, I offer to teach the class of students about a specific tool and the teacher is there to provide support and troubleshoot. This gives the teacher an opportunity to learn alongside his/her students. Taking a universal apporach to offering ATL to all students increase the use of the tool with the student(s) who truly need it for access and choice. I also rely on peers to provide tech support and encourage students to ask their peer experts before they even think to ask the teacher.
DeleteHi, Lindsay...
ReplyDeleteLike others, I love the "calculation cafe" example. I have done something similar with my own kids. They're always finding things they want to order online--often from other countries. They're motivated--it's "real life" stuff they want! So I have them sit down and figure out currency exchange rates, shipping costs, duties, taxes, etc. They're often quite astonished at what the final price turns, in Canadian dollars, delivered to their doorstep, turns out to be! I can easily imaging doing something similar in a classroom setting.
I would be very interested to hear your thoughts about iPads vs. Chromebooks. I'm a Google fanboy, so I LOVE Chromebooks. Unfortunately, the school my kids attend (Connect Charter) is totally immersed in the Apple world. They constantly grumble about the cost of iPads and MacBooks, but they refuse to contemplate Chromebooks.
Terry's comment goes to what I wrote about in my blog about the physical/architectural "design" of schools themselves. There's only so much "adaptation" that schools which were designed and built in the past can do to not only accommodate but truly facilitate "transformed" teaching and learning. Personally, I think we need to completely rethink the way we design and build schools.
The discussion about whether teachers and/or students are "tech-savvy" is important, too--and I think you hit the nail on the head with your observation that some are intimidated by the learning curve associated with both hardware and software. It CAN get a bit overwhelming!
Thanks for your comments Michael. I don't think that any one device can do it all; the more choices the better. In fact, if we think about technology for ourselves, I bet there are very few people who do all of their work or leisure activities on one device. Personally, I like iPads in the classroom for creation. They are a great tool for documenting learning and then creating proof of learning. The most challenging thing those is that iPads are meant for individual users and having 10 to share in a class of 30 can be problematic.
DeleteOh, how I love Chromebooks! They are fast, sleek, small and inexpensive. But...being internet based makes access challenging. Thankfully, in our district all schools have wifi and being a Google district everything is done in Google Drive (which is also AWESOME).
Changing the design of schools is an interesting idea and definitely one to think about. I did read your post and am interested to hear how you envision schools to look and how this will impact education?