During the first couple of weeks of the Integrating Educational Technology course, we explored the theory of constructivism in education. At some point the question “Are you a technology constructivist?” was asked. At the time I didn’t consider myself a technology constructivist; not fully understanding the concept led to lack of commitment to the title. Desiring to know more about technology constructivism and to help confirm a position, I came across this description:
“Techno-constructivists --These are the teachers who integrate technology into the curriculum so that it not only complements instruction but redefines it. The true techno-constructivists have come through the previous three stages and have realized the full potential of technology to help children build on their own experiences, construct their own meanings, create products, and solve problems successfully,” (Walter McKenzie, 2012)
“Techno-constructivists --These are the teachers who integrate technology into the curriculum so that it not only complements instruction but redefines it. The true techno-constructivists have come through the previous three stages and have realized the full potential of technology to help children build on their own experiences, construct their own meanings, create products, and solve problems successfully,” (Walter McKenzie, 2012)
Reflecting on my teaching practice, my role as a consultant and the definition offered by McKenzie, I would now say with confidence that yes I am an emerging technology constructivist. Formerly, I would have considered myself an educational traditionalist described by McKenzie as a teacher who uses technology as “...an extension of traditional classroom functions: digital lesson plans, electronic grade books, drill and practice software, tests, quizzes, and tutorials.” I think the step I have taken to becoming a technology constructivist lies within the awareness of what is possible. Classroom blogs to write, collaborate and share, webquests to connect and learn, Web 2.0 tools that offer alternatives to traditional methods of expression are tools that were not as well known about or explored by educators until more recently. Some of these tools I have used within in my classroom and when I return will be a natural part of learning for my students.
Alberta Education obviously understands the value in technology integration for 21st Century Learners as it is a critical component of the Learning and Technology Policy Framework. My opinion is in alignment with Alberta Education and I feel that all teachers need to be technology constructivists, whether emerging or advanced. Students need exposure to develop expertise and to learn to identify technology options for various tasks. This, I know is a lofty goal. So, how do we support those teachers who are reluctant, inexperienced, fearful or don’t see the value in embedding technology? How do we make them understand the importance of technology as a tool for learning and not as a replacement for traditional tasks?
References
Alberta, G. (2014). Alberta Education - Learning and Technology Policy Framework. [online] Education.alberta.ca. Available at: http://www.education.alberta.ca/admin/technology/policyframework.aspx [Accessed 21 Oct. 2014].
Educationworld.com, (2014). Are You a Techno-Constructivist?. [online] Available at:
http://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/tech/tech005.shtml [Accessed 21 Oct. 2014].
No comments:
Post a Comment